- had an impromptu design meeting with my partner while I was both drunk and really sleep deprived and basically said “no I hate this idea” a lot to something. I re-read it this morning and then this interaction happens and I know I’ve chosen the right person to work with/generally be around:
- I sent an email to a co-collaborator asking “Can we just not use memes in our slides I would like it if we didn’t have memes in our slides”
- I got a meeting with a major publisher an hour after deciding I wanted one. Much fist pumping and feeling like a competent badass ensues.
- I was feeling too much like a badass so I looked at my code on a game from a month ago and the feeling quickly subsided.
- I ate a grit. I deeply regret this decision. I also dropped my phone in an airport in Tennessee and a man in a cowboy hat picked it up and said “here y’go, lil lady” and I just about lost my shit. The fact that these things happened because of videogames is a source of endless hilarity to me.
- I proposed running a curated art space and cool jam based off of bright LEDs and hacker shit and I think it might be happening and OH GOD I HOPE IT HAPPENS it would be so cool you guys aaaaaaaa
- I revived a dead project about dads fighting each other and hopefully it makes money because not starving would be rad. I had previously worked on this game and completely forgotten about it, and it’s weird that happened because it’s such a good idea and a lot of people are now excited about it.
- I helped push toward getting another gamesperson’s medical bills taken care of after he got royally and unsurprisingly fucked by insurance. Everyone that was in the room with me at the time donated, and between that and how people helped me when i got robbed at gunpoint gives me so much faith and hope and pride in this community. I love how often and thoroughly we take care of our own sometimes.
- I helped one game developer work on officiating another game developer’s wedding. I love all these people, and it’s insane to think that I didn’t know any of them existed 3 years ago.
- I have apparently become someone who communicates primarily through run on sentences.
I love my job you guys. I love who I do my job alongside. I am so fucking lucky.
Now back to writing my talk on how to bring more people into the fold :)